Saturday, May 08, 2010

Cuppycakes!


When I was called into Young Women's, every time one of the girls had a birthday, I'd volunteer to bake for the occasion. It's now just assumed that when there's a birthday, I'll create something from the oven. I wouldn't have it any other way. Once Cherie said that it should be someone else's burden every once in awhile, but I vehemently shook my head and told her it just wasn't going to happen. I love doing it. It gives me an excuse to try new recipes and different techniques. And I've started trying to fit each new recipe to the girl. So this week, it's Kristianne's birthday. I asked her what kind of cupcakes she'd like. "Vanilla." Vanilla? What on earth could I do with vanilla? So I thought about it. And thought. And then I had an epiphany. For these particular cupcakes, the flavor would be vanilla, but I would decorate it to cater to her interests. She's very into sports, my sweet Kristianne, and she's been involved in swimming lately. So I did swimming cupcakes. I tinted the frosting a very pale blue, spiked the edges to look like waves, then I used food-color spray to paint the tips of the waves a darker blue. Next, I put a gummy ring in the center, inserted a Teddy Graham into his own little intertube, then finished it all with a cocktail umbrella. They turned out super cute. I hope Kristi will like them! (And just so they know I didn't forget them, we're also celebrating Hannah and Julia's birthdays as well, though they were a few weeks ago! I just haven't had the opportunity to talk about cupcakes with them.)

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Outlook 2010 download is still in beta and a year away from public release. Either we make it clear this is a bad decision now, or the disconnect between Outlook 2010 users and the rest of the email world will continue to grow. Email designers will be stuck building emails using the same clunky combination of tables for layout, inline CSS and font tags for many years to come. Almost 25,000 people have joined the chorus to send a unified message to Microsoft about their lack of web standards support in Microsoft Outlook 2010.